The UK loves its independent book sellers, and in 2016, the Booksellers Association has developed a new way to support and celebrate this unique community treasure. This year, Saturday, October 8 marks the first annual Bookshop Day in the UK and Ireland.
Tis the Season
Fall is the season for books -- for readers and the publishing industry alike. It starts this year on October 6 with the release of several big autumn titles, including A Sackful of Limericks by Michael Palin, Pistache Returns by Sebastian Faulks, Rick Stein’s Long Weekends, and many more notable works.
Then comes “Super Thursday” on October 20, the biggest book release day before Christmas. Hotly-anticipated titles like Jamie Oliver’s Christmas Cookbook, Phil Collins’ autobiography Not Dead Yet, and Christmas with Princess Mirror-Belle by Julia Donaldson, to name just a few, will be published that day. It all adds up to a big season of reading -- and shopping.
To take advantage of the shopping season and these hot book releases, the first annual Bookshop Day promises to be a festive occasion. Bookshops are encouraged to make this day truly special with parties, book signings and other events all on the same day, to replace the Bookshop Parties held throughout the season in previous years. Then, on November 26, bookshops will hold events for the second annual Civilised Saturday, bookshops’ answer to the highly commercial Black Friday.
To further promote this season of books, the Books Are My Bag nationwide campaign is returning to celebrate bookshops. This year, award-winning book cover designer Coralie Bickford-Smith has designed the limited edition canvas tote, which will be on sale exclusively in bookshops. Winnie-the-Pooh and Christopher Robin are featured on the children’s version, to mark Winnie-the-Pooh’s 90th anniversary.
Top 10 Bestsellers
- What To Do When You Worry Too Much: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Anxiety by Dawn Huebner (Magination Press)
- How to Live: A User’s Guide by Peter Johns (Clink Street Publishing)
- Water Bugs & Dragonflies Explaining Death to Children by Doris Stickney (Pilgrim Press)
- The Miracle Morning: The Not-So-Obvious Secret Guaranteed to Transform Your Life (Before 8AM) by Hal Elrod (Hal Elrod)
- Have You Filled a Bucket Today?: A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids by Carol McCloud (Bucket Fillers)
- Without a Doubt by Marcia Clark (Graymalkin Media)
- The Nutribullet Healing Recipe Book: 200 Health Boosting Nutritious and Therapeutic Blast and Smoothie Recipes by Marco Black (CreateSpace)
- What To Do When Your Temper Flares: A Kid’s Guide to Overcoming Problems with Anger by Dawn Huebner (Magination Press)
- Invisible String by Patrice Karst (DeVorss & Company)
- Paw Patrol Phonics Box Set by Jennifer Liberts (Random House for Young Readers)
Check out the rest of the Top 100 UK Titles here.
Ingram Can Help
Ingram loves booksellers around the world. And, thanks to our vast resources, our international customers love us back! How can we help you make Bookshop Day a success?
print on demand service combines the unparalleled Ingram catalog with the convenience of a UK warehouse. That means more choice and less waste with 14 million titles -- including 700,000 UK-exclusive -- fast shipping, free mainland UK delivery, and more.
Data services can help you make the most of the increased traffic in your store on Bookshop Day and throughout the buying season. Increase sales and better communicate with your customers with data delivered the way you need it, either web-based or FTP.